No, I’m not a very good shoemaker … yet » First welt stitch

First welt stitch

First welt stitch

This was my very first welt stitch ever. It was not easy. It took me roughly 8 hours to complete. I kept gettiing my needles stuck in the channel because I did not wiggle my awl enough to create a bigger/smoother channel for them to glide easily through and/or I was allowing the layers to move before I had both needles in. Oh, and I learned the hard way that soap is a channel’s best friend. From the picture you can also tell that I had a hard time creating the hole in tiny channel of the welt piece. In the end this all had to be redone for I did not stitch the upper close enough to the featherline and therefore there wasn’t enough visible room on the welt outside of the featherline to stitch it to the sole.


Leave a Reply