This was my first attempt at building up my high heel last to incorporate a new toe shape and adding a platform for a higher heel. My original intent was to have these shoes completed for New Year’s Eve. That unfortunately did not happen.
I skived the upper too thin, which is what I think caused the wrinkling in the lasting that I could not correct. I must have re-lasted these shoes half a dozen times trying to solve the wrinkling problem.
The original design of the eyelets with the snakeskin showing through was supposed to be centered on the top of the vamp. I did not calculate enough stretch into my design so when I lasted the upper, the design stretched more than I anticipated. This also happened on the heel. Next time I will use fiberglass tape to ensure the design does not stretch.
I currently only have one high heel last, which is a pointy toe shape. I wanted more of a round toe for these shoes, so I built up the last with veg-tan around the toe area. I did not anticipate that with a more rounded toe, my foot would slide more forward therefore causing the shoe to be a half size too big.
I used my sewing machine for these uppers and just need to spend more time practicing on it.
When making dorsays, I need to figure out what method I want to use for blending the vamp and heel to the inner sole so that there is not a dip or a gap when I attach the finished sole.
I really struggle with the finishing touches, especially attaching the sole. I have tried to pre-cut and finish the sole before cementing to the shoe and I have tried forming the sole to the shoe and cutting it down, then finishing the edges. It’s just something that I know I need to work on.
*No, the mouse is not real.